Phelan said she was still waiting for confirmation on the withdrawal of the militants from eastern Aleppo.
The Al Mayadeen TV channel reported that some 5,000 militants and their families will be evacuated from the city on Wednesday. The withdrawal is supposed to be carried out with the help of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) via a special corridor, the channel said. Some of the militants will then head to the rebel-held Idlib province.
Speaking to TASS, the ICRC’s Middle East public relations officer, Krista Armstrong, said that the agreement is still in the works and the parties are “at the moment still thrashing out the details of this agreement and how it will be implemented.”
“To say that the conflict in Syria nears its end, will be, of course, exaggeration. We have still a long way to go, but we wish, that this way will return to the trajectory outlined in the resolution adopted in December last year, which stipulates the need to write a new Constitution for Syria, to hold elections under international supervision,” Churkin said after the UN meeting on Syria.
Some 7,796 civilians, including 3,946 children, have been evacuated from eastern Aleppo districts within the last 24 hours, the Russian Center for Reconciliation of Warring Parties, which assisted the evacuation, reported. It added that 375 militants had laid down their arms. Since the start of the offensive, over 110,000 civilians, including 44,367 children, have been rescued from the rebel-held areas of the city. So far, around 7,000 people were able to go back to their homes in the liberated parts of eastern Aleppo from government-controlled neighborhoods.